The Vasa is one of the first Swedish warships built in the 17th century. The ship was ordered by the King of Sweden in the war against Poland and was constructed in the docks of Stockholm. She was one of the first warships having two canon decks, thus the waterline was just 150 cm under the lower cannon hatches. When finished, the 52 m high and 69 m long ship was launched, despite failed stability tests.
On its maiden voyage, the Vasa should carry soldiers and their families from Stockholm’s docks to a place close to todays Slussen station. All cannon hatches were open for gun salute and the richly decorated ship looked great. But then the wind turned and the ship inclined – resulting in the open canon hatches being under water. The ship sank after just twenty minutes and 1300 m in operation.
In 1961 the Vasa was recovered and restored so that today it can be discovered in the Vasamuseet close to the place the ship once sank.